Friday, November 28, 2008

where it all began

so on the advice of a friend, i've moved from simply posting occasionally on my myspace blog to a more public and (hopefully on my part) more frequently updated narrative of what i'm dealing with in living with a rare life threatening illness. i'll write a quick rundown of how all of this came to be:

about seven weeks ago i was diagnosed with a form of cancer called alveolar soft part sarcoma. it is very rare, aggressive, and difficult to treat. generally speaking, my best prognosis is about 5-6 years. on november 4, i had a tumor about the size of an orange removed from my upper right thigh. the surgery was a great success, but unfortunately this had gone unnoticed and untreated for so long that it has spread to my lungs. i have what are called pulmonary nodules spread throughout both my lungs. aside from about six weeks of radiation treatment on my leg, i also have to look forward to surgery on both my lungs, and eventually very intensive chemotherapy as well.

despite all of this, i am extremely blessed to have an incredible support system of family and friends behind me. i draw a great deal of strength from their compassion, understanding, and love. i truely would not stand a chance without them.

No comments: